Derry Township-PennDOT Park Avenue (SR 743)-Chocolate Avenue (US 422) Project
- Cocoa Ave. will be realigned beginning at the Cocoa Ave. / Caracas Ave. intersection and ending at Chocolate Ave. This will reduce the number of intersections from two to one in this area.
- Park Ave. will be realigned beginning at the Park. Ave. / Chocolate Ave. intersection and ending at the ZooAmerica parking lot entrance.
- A new bridge will be constructed east of the existing bridge to span over the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks. The existing bridge will be removed once this construction is finished.
- Park Boulevard (T-591) will be extended east to meet with the relocated Park Ave. roadway.
- New traffic signals will be installed at the Chocolate Ave. / Park Ave. intersection. Once the project is complete, only one signal will be used to control traffic in this area.
- Streetscape enhancements including:
- Historic period style signal poles and standards at the intersection
- Textured cross walks
- Low level lighting in the median area
- Decorative fencing and railing
- Architectural coatings and stains on new concrete walls, and abutments
- Pedestrian mobility will be enhanced. Some of these new features include:
- New sidewalks and pedestrian curb ramps.
- A new pedestrian underpass will be constructed underneath the Park Ave. roadway.
- A new pedestrian underpass will be constructed underneath the Chocolate Ave. roadway.
Project Cost and Funding: The construction bid is approximately $12.1 million that is funded by federal, state, and local funds.
Project Schedule: Please refer to the Project Schedule and Project Progress Tabs above.